But being so far from family and friends this year, I wasn't sure what I would think about having such a small little Christmas morning. Was I going to be overcome with homesickness? I missed family, the awesome dinners, the sleepover watching movies on Christmas eve, getting up with the sun, taking turns opening presents. So I tried to keep busy and entertained to not dwell on it too much. We did things like:
| Fingerpainting |
| Browsing the web. |
But I have to admit, a small Christmas with my little family was absolutely perfect. We made an awesome roast for dinner and made sugar cookies and rice pudding. Santa had actually come a day or two before (Ashlyn wouldn't know any better), so everything was wrapped and ready under the tree waiting for Christmas morning.
Justin and I stayed up late watching a movie. The next morning we watched Ashlyn open a present or two until she got distracted enough to play with something for a while, and then Justin and I would open ours (that's kinda like taking turns, right???) I have to admit that we DID NOT wake up with the sun. We slept in. It is the latest we have ever slept in for Christmas, and it probably will be for a long, loooong time. But it was so fun to watch little Ashlyn get so excited over her new toys. It went something like this:
Ashlyn: "A Dog! a dog! a dog! a dog! a dog! a dog!"
Mommy: "yes Ashlyn, it's a dog!"
Ashlyn: "A Doooooog!"
| The chair was also a Christmas present |
| New laptop |
| Beep Beep! |
| She got some number magnets for the fridge. Later I found them all neatly tucked underneath |
Ashlyn also got some beautiful dresses from her Grandma Tolman (Thanks Debbie!) and she wore one to church the next day. It made her look so big! Especially now since she goes to nursery.
I have a video of Ashlyn dancing with a singing doggie that she got. I haven't figured out how to put up videos yet, but if I do, it is on my list of ones to add! She's a goofball.
So Christmas was okay over here in Indiana. I think we managed to capture the spirit even if it was a little differently than normal. I'm excited for next year when Ashlyn will not only understand the idea of Santa, but will begin to understand the reason for it all, for "baby Jesus." I'm so grateful for the savior and that he was born to atone for us and for the blessings that stem from that. I'm grateful that family can be together forever and for my wonderful family who makes us feel so loved even from far away. We had a great Christmas.
Hope everyone else was able to have an awesome Christmas as well.
.


Merry Christmas Katie! We sure missed you. and everyone else. But Christmas is still wonderful. I agree.
ReplyDeleteI love the old picture of you and Justin! So cute! You still look exactly the same to me. You are gorgeous!
Ashlyn looked like she had a great time! She's adorable. How's she doing in nursery?
I'm glad you had a wonderful Christmas!! We sure missed you, but I am so enjoying the pictures you posted showing that Christmas wonder and glee in your family's eyes! Love you lots! Mom
ReplyDelete